Welcome to the Monthly Insider for July 2018 (Volume 2, Issue 7). This month’s topic is the Food Foundation.
If there is a cornerstone to prepping, it’s food. Being able to feed ourselves and our family is the primary reason to prep. It’s not as sexy as guns and gear, but you can bet that everyday you’re alive, you’re going to want to eat. And you’ll quickly reach a point where you have to eat if you’re going to keep going.
But food preps are more than just storing freeze dried #10 cans. A complete food storage system needs to take food production into account. Because if a disaster of sufficient magnitude occurs, you may be forced to rely on only what you can produce. Our food stores are designed to get us through to the first harvest and that’s really how they need to be thought of.
Food production comes in may forms. It can be growing your own. Raising livestock or hunting, fishing and trapping. All of these methods can and should be incorporated into your long-term food program. In this edition of the Insider, we talk about food and many ways to acquire it.
You can download the Food Foundation PDF by clicking here.
If you prefer to view the information in web site form, you can do so as well. Each section is linked below.
- The Food Foundation
- What Does Proper Food Storage Look Like
- Buying Food in Bulk
- Freeze Dried Foods Versus MREs/Canned Food
- The Reality of Foraging
- Wild Edibles
- Small Scale Livestock
- Producing Feed for Your Livestock
- New Gear Releases
- Building a Successful Garden
- Choosing the Right Gardening Style for You
- Making Compost for Your Garden
- Basic Tools Needed to Garden
- Sprouting Seeds to Eat
- Gear Review: Benchmade Bugout Knife
- Preparing for Cravings
- Stocking Herbs and Spices for Survival
- Survival Uses for Salt
- Survival Foods that Last Forever
- What We’re Reading Now
- Sarge: A “Going Home” Serial Part 8